FOLK_MUSIC digest Thursday, March 26 1998 Volume 01 : Number 2347

Robert Curtis (robert@calculus.net)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:57:08 -0500

FOLK_MUSIC digest Thursday, March 26 1998 Volume 01 : Number 2347

In this issue:
NOMA News
Cottage Industry
Re: Can't Help But Wonder...
Re: Phil Ochs Tribute Album + The Pete Seeger Tribute, too
Re: Lisa Sanders
Re: Phil Ochs Tribute Album + The Pete Seeger Tribute, too

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 14:30:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Maryl Neff <maryl@songs.com>
Subject: NOMA News

Greetings!

Here's some NOMA news from our most recent newsletter. We welcomed several
new artists to NOMA this past month.

COSY SHERIDAN -- With performances from the Cowgirl Hall of Fame to
Carnegie Hall, and winning music festival competitions such as Kerrville
and Telluride, Cosy's distinctive "tender/tough" voice and top-notch guitar
playing make her a great addition to NOMA. Her new CD, "Grand Design," is a
whole new direction for Cosy. Listen to the five-song mini-sampler at:
<http://songs.com/bwe/cosy>

DAVE CARTER -- Once described as the "Carlos Castaneda of country music,"
Dave Carter has won numerous awards including the Sisters (Ore.) Folk
Festival Songwriting Contest, the American Songwriter Magazine's lyric
contest and Portland Songwriters Association Entertainer of the Year.
Dave's songs reflect the ongoing existential struggle between science and
faith, intellect and emotion, heart and mind.
<http://songs.com/davecarter>

TIM FARRELL -- Renowned fingerstyle guitarist Tim Farrell has a brand new
album, "Sky Dancer," which is already receiving airplay and accolades
across the U.S. and in Europe. A faculty member at a musical conservatory
and an active composer, Tim provides music for TV shows and soundtracks,
among other projects, and presents concerts and workshops around the country.
<http://songs.com/timfarrell>

JOYCE ROUSE, a.k.a. EARTH MAMA, has been a Nashville-based songwriter and
performer for more than 10 years. Four years ago Joyce began combining her
music and humor with her concern for the Earth, and the Earth Mama was
born. She performs at a variety of venues for adults and children.
<http://songs.com/earthmama>

SIMPLE GIFTS -- Linda Littleton, Rachel Hall and Karen Hirshon are three
women who draw on a broad musical background to play 12 instruments and
perform Romanian, Klezmer, Irish, English, Israeli and American music and
more. Based in the hills of central Pennsylvania, SIMPLE GIFTS draws on a
wide variety of ethnic folk styles, playing everything from lively Irish
jigs to haunting Gypsy melodies.
<http://songs.com/simplegifts>

MICKEY NEWBURY's new "Live in England" CD is a 12-song concert of solo
performances that was recorded in 1993. It includes Newbury classics such
as "American Trilogy" and "San Francisco Mabel Joy," some traditional songs
with his interpretations such as "Danny Boy" and "Shenandoah," and future
classics including "Sailor, Sailor" and "Ramblin' Blues."
<http://songs.com/newbury>

NASHVILLE ACOUSTIC MUSIC CAMP is a focused week of individual acoustic
instrument study and songwriting. Nash Camp '98 is June 7-12 at Montgomery
Bell State Park outside of Nashville. This year's new classes will include
dobro, harmony singing and melody writing for songwriters. The songwriting
teachers this year include Rick Carnes (wrote "Longneck Bottle," a Garth
Brooks hit), CASEY KELLY and Paul Craft. The cost for the camp is $550 for
tuition, room and board. Learn more about it at:
<http://songs.com/nashcamp>

To subscribe to the NOMA Newsletter, send a note to
<nomanews-request@listserv.telalink.net> and leave the subject line blank.
Put the following text in the body of the message: subscribe
you@yourdomain.com

Maryl @ NOMA
National Online Music Alliance
<http://songs.com>