FOLK_MUSIC digest V1 #2348

Folk_Music Listserv (folk_music@nysernet.org)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:07:41 -0500

FOLK_MUSIC digest Friday, March 27 1998 Volume 01 : Number 2348

In this issue:
New Pete Seeger Tribute CDs: Not your average chicken dish
Pete Seeger Tribute CD
New Festival in 1999
Re: schmaltz
Rose Garden Contest Deadline Is Approaching
the "truly" talented...
Is Folk a "Cottage Industry"? / House Concerts
Re: schmaltz
Fwd: Jim Infantino House Concert
Re: the "truly" talented...

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:08:29 -0500 (EST)
From: ZSparrow <ZSparrow@aol.com>
Subject: New Pete Seeger Tribute CDs: Not your average chicken dish

Review of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone: the Songs of Pete Seeger"
(2-volume collection) by Sue Fink

Before I begin my review, I'd like to share a semi-related story: Several
weeks ago, I went to the Tower Records at Belden & Clark in Chicago to look
for the new Judy Collins retrospective. First I searched the Rock/Popular
music section, as I figured she'd be out there with CSNY, Dylan, etc. When
that failed I scoured the folk section, also to no avail. Reluctantly I asked
the sullen little clerk-guy for help.

"What kind of music is she?" he asked. I wasn't sure what he meant. "It's
just I don't know who she is. Never heard of her," he said matter-of-factly.

Let's just say they probably swept my dropped jaw off the floor that night
because I don't remember picking it up myself. Instantly I felt like the
image he must've had of me: a doddering, ancient woman with a walker or
something. I almost squawked, "Young man! If you worked in a bookstore,
would the fact that Dickens is dead excuse you from knowing who *he* is?" --
and Collins ain't *close* to dead! But dutifully he looked her up and then
kind of pushed me into the Dead/Close to Dead section (not the official name,
but might as well be) and there was Judy, in the good company of Judy Garland,
Frankie Lane and Frank Sinatra.

There is a special room in the back of the Tower store, with the Dead/CloseTo
and New Age sections up front, and Folk in the back. The collections in each
are fairly extensive, and if you know where to look, chances are you will be
pleased. But I'm pretty sure that most Tower customers have no idea this room
even exists. It's kind of a pristine, quiet mausoleum in the back of an
otherwise rowdy, bustling store.

I only mention this because when I went to buy the new double-CD
compilation/tribute to Pete Seeger, "Where Have All the Flowers Gone," it was
with great trepidation that I returned to Tower. The CD had just been
released days earlier, with the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne,
Bonnie Raitt, Ani DiFranco, Billy Bragg, and that "great unknown," Judy
Collins, amongst many others, each singing a Seeger tune. All new recordings!
So: Would the CD be prominently displayed in the Popular room, based on all
the big-name artists? Or, would it be in the folk mausoleum? Even worse,
would I not be able to find it and have to embarrass myself by asking the
clerk again ("Pete *who*???").

It was not in the big room, but at least it was displayed visibly in the
mausoleum. Restored 25% of my faith in record stores. But it's like that
saying, "preaching to the already converted," or something like that? I mean,
yes, it IS folk, but why not display this jewel where OTHERS might actually
learn of its existence, and get the benefit of this amazing music recorded by
amazing people -- and for many, of learning just who Pete Seeger is and what
he stands for?

This is such a remarkable collection, truly a gift of love from everyone who
participated in the making of it. It's the gift of eternal life -- Pete can
be assured that his songs will live on forever, if this collection is any
indication.

My disclaimer: one reason I couldn't wait to get this CD, besides the
obvious, is because I am a Bruce Springsteen fanatic, and through a series of
fortuitous events, my friend Larry Eagle (NY musician) got to play percussion
on Springsteen's cut ("We Shall Overcome"). His name is listed right there on
the CD!! Great job, Larry! It's like a fantasy come true (except in my
fantasy, it's not the drums, it's the harmonica; and it's not Larry
accompanying Bruce, it's me... details! Close enough).

Guess I'll start with that cut. The percussion gives the song Springsteen's
trademark underlying rhythm -- insistent, driving, essential. Patti Sciafla
and Soozie Tyrell sing backup vocals. Bruce sings quiet but true, using his
"Across the Border" voice. The cut is not as "perfect" as his recordings
usually are, which makes it sound spontaneous, like people were enjoying
themselves, like they were meaning what they were singing. It's heartfelt,
true to Seeger's vision.

This compilation has so many wonderful cuts, but first I'd like to discuss it
as a whole. It's like a wonderful, 39-course meal, each course prepared by a
different chef. Now, if you were ever to receive a gourmet meal as large as
that, you couldn't really appreciate it if you were to devour the whole thing
in one gulp. 39 courses is an awful lot, and you might want to set aside a
few days for consumption and contemplation. Otherwise, you might overwhelm
your senses, or miss something in your haste. Also, you might be prepared
mentally for chicken as you always knew it, but now some different seasonings
have been added -- you need time to savor its newness and appreciate the
cook's innovativeness.

As with any successful meal, it's not just the food but the order in which it
is presented. One course should lead smoothly into the next, so rather than
be jarred you are left feeling, "but of course, it *had* to be ordered this
way!" And if you want to learn more about the cooks or preparation, it's nice
to have helpful descriptions on the menu.

This is how the songs are organized on the CDs: a stimulating, innovative,
pleasing feast for the ears, planned and created and executed with love. With
each volume comes a booklet, to be read at leisure. In Volume 1's booklet,
after a wonderful introduction by Pete Seeger, Jim Musselman, the executive
producer, explains how this project came into being, and how he picked certain
artists for specific songs "based on either the philosophical fit between the
artist and the message of the song and/or their unique musical style"
(although several artists chose the songs themselves). For almost every song,
there is an introduction by Pete, explaining how/when/why he wrote the song;
sometimes followed by a quote from the performer; then followed by a
description of the artist and his/her musical history. What a great way to
link past with present with future, a real unifying approach as well as a
fascinating read.

Many of the songs I was already familiar with; some I was not. These songs
stand strong by themselves, whether or not you've heard them before. A while
ago on this list there was discussion on "covers," and why artists play songs
by someone other than the original artist. This collection is testament to
the benefits that different voices, different interpretations can bring a
song. Of course I liked some better than others, and that's just personal
taste, but there isn't a "clinker" in the whole collection.

Two things that struck me about the collection overall: several songs have
been given a Celtic flavoring, which works very well! -- and there's a lot of
cool rhythms, specific to each performer's interpretation of their song --
rhythms you wouldn't expect, but that seem absolutely right.

For example: Volume 1 opens with Tommy Sands and Dolores Kean (Irish) singing
"Where Have All the Flowers Gone," with Vedran Smailovic (Bosnian) playing
soulful cello. Jim Musselman thought to unite these artists from troubled
countries, as well as to use "a chorus of Catholic and Protestant
schoolchildren." They perform beautifully together, making an already moving
song even more so.

Then: a seamless segue into Jackson Brown's and Bonnie Raitt's version of
"Kisses Sweeter Than Wine," done with a reggae beat! Who woulda thunk it?
But it works really well!

Other cuts I noticed where the rhythm was really different and enhanced the
songs: Ani DiFranco, "My Name is Lisa Kalvelage"; Bruce Cockburn, "Turn,
Turn, Turn"; Indigo Girls, "Letter to Eve"; Tim Robbins (yes, the actor, along
with a chorus of children in an amazing interpretation), "All My Children of
the Sun"; the aforementioned Springsteen cut. Other cuts where Celtic
influence is felt (IMO): Cordelia's Dad, "How Can I Keep from Singing"; Tommy
Makem, "Over the Hills." Other songs that I just really liked: John Gorka,
"The River is Wide" -- what a voice! -- Guy Davis, a bluesy "False From True";
John Stewart, "Old Riley"; John Trudell, "The Torn Flag."

Again, what keeps these CDs from becoming merely a smorgasbord of songs and
styles is the order in which they are presented. Obviously a lot of time and
consideration went into the arrangement and order of the cuts. Here is my
absolute favorite segue -- it's a true work of genius. On side 1, #9, Studs
Terkel recites "Blessed Be the Nation," which the notes explain Seeger wrote
as "graffiti on a flat stone" when he was dismayed at the litter strewn across
an island beach. Jim Musselman added the last four verses to Pete's original
two. And Studs Terkel -- well, he is a national treasure, but for Chicagoans,
a regional treasure as well. With all his oral histories turned into books
and wonderful radio interviews (I'm almost positive I've heard him interview
Pete on WFMT), he may not be a musician but he is of the people, by the people
and absolutely belongs on this collection.

OK. So Terkel recites this stunningly moving poem: 1 minute, 30 seconds.
There is perhaps one second of silence that follows, in which you are
thinking, WOW! and your heart catches. Immediately a soulful violin begins,
playing the exact tune that is in your soul but you just didn't know it, and
time stands still. It's Billy Bragg and Eliza Carthy's stunningly moving
version of "My Father's Mansions." And you realize how essential this order
is, how perfectly right, how they must have always belonged together in this
way.

I've gone on long enough; there are many more cuts, many more artists, that
make this collection an essential one to hear and savor. Volume 2 ends with
Pete himself singing "And Still I Am Searching," about still trying to find a
way to unite the world in peace. He is accompanied by his grandson, Tao
Rodriguez-Seeger. And the booklet ends with facts about poverty and crime and
"noteworthy organizations" that help -- a true folk collection, indeed.

I hope this collection gets the exposure it so richly deserves -- both from
people buying it and hopefully lots of air play as well. I hope that in other
cities and other music stores, it's not buried somewhere in the back.
Finally, I hope that younger listeners who may not even know of Pete Seeger
learn of him through these CDs, and see the relevance of his songs and
thoughts through the interpretations of these artists whom they do know.

Sue Fink (ZSparrow@aol.com)