FOLK_MUSIC digest V1 #2345

Folk_Music Listserv (folk_music@nysernet.org)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:06:05 -0500

Movies, music, actors, etc
Re: Can't Help But Wonder
Re: Omega Institute

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:13:18 -0400
From: Alan Rowoth <alan@folkmusic.org>
Subject: Sarah McLachlan Sweeps Juno Awards

[Somebody sent me this.]

Sarah McLachlan Sweeps Juno Awards

Sarah McLachlan and her latest release, Surfacing, swept several major
categories at the 27th annual Juno Awards in Vancouver Sunday night. McLachlan
took trophies for Best Female Vocalist, Best Album for Surfacing, Best Single
for Building A Mystery and Songwriter of the Year, with her Mystery co-writer
Pierre
Marchand. "I've been doing this for 10 years and it's been a wonderful time
for me, a wonderful career. I haven't been an overnight sensation -- I've been
given the time to ease my way into it," McLachlan told reporters after the
show. "To come home and get these awards is really a big thrill for me. I
honestly kind of never expected to get them so it's really great."

Our Lady Peace took home two awards; Group of the Year and Rock Album of the
Year for Clumsy. The band was forced to cancel their performance at the
awards at the last moment when lead singer Raine Maida had to be hospitalized
for a back problem. Commenting on the cancellation, guitarist Mike Turner
said, "Obviously things are not as they should be. We're very disappointed we
won't be able to play tonight. We've been working really hard in the States
and this was a chance to come home, be among friends, our peers and play."

Shania Twain was honored with Best Country Female Vocalist honors, and Country
Male Vocalist honors went to Paul Brandt. Producer David Foster was inducted
into the Juno Hall of Fame at the ceremony, which featured performances by
McLachlan, Twain and Ron Sexsmith.

- --
Alan Rowoth |"Every time I hear people say it's never gonna change
alan@folkmusic.org | ...I think about you.
PO Box 307 | Like it's some kind of joke or some kind of game
Liverpool NY | ...I think about you.
13088-0307 | And when I see a woman on the news,
315.474.4800 | who didn't ask to be abandoned or abused
315.474.2766 fax | It doesn't matter who she is, I think about you."
www.folkmusic.org | - "I Think About You" Steve Seskin