Re: Roll your own cds

Robert & Annette (rtaafa@isoc.net)
Mon, 18 May 1998 05:31:25 -0400 (EDT)

Carol and Alan wrote:

>Has anyone purchased from this? I saw nothing that interested me, At least
>when this was done with cassettes some years ago (through Tower Records and
>a few other outlets), a lot of the more popular artists weren't available,
>but there were some.
>Carol Mitchell
>
>[Alan sez: Good point. It seems like this service might be even more useful
>if it contained hard to find, out of print, rare items that might not be
>worthy of large scale pressing. I haven't even looked into it, but I
>imagine that it's mostly the same stuff that the record clubs advertise.
>None of my favorite artists ever appear in those listings...]

Hi All,

I've been watching developments in the download music from the web and burn
your own cds field. Liquid Audio has signed agreements with ASCAP, BMG,
and more to make music available for download (that's a lot of songs).
Several other companies are also making big promises.

Anticipating all this, I have purchased a CD-RW and have been stocking up
on blank CD-R's whenever I see a good deal (rebates!).

Ken Pohlmann of Stereo Review is a believer and writes the following in the
June issue of SR:

"It would be premature to forecast the death of the retail record store.
Rather, it seems that such stores will always remain a viable part of the
music-distribution system. However, there is no denying that the
distribution experiments pioneered by dozens of established and new
companies will eventually lead to more convenient ways to acquire music."
(He is also talking here about record stores that exist only on the web -
no physical retail stores - like CDnow, etc., where many of us have been
purchasing cds for the convenience.)

So what does "eventually" mean. I believe that I will be downloading from
the web most of the music I want to own (for maybe $0.50 a song) and
creating my own cds in 6 months to a year! I'm ready, but I've read enough
about this emerging technology to be patient.

Robert A.