Re: Samplers

Charlie Seelig (cseelig@tiac.net)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 02:27:50 -0400 (EDT)

On the subject, Joan Murdock wrote:

>Do many of the people on this list actually go out and buy a CD by a new
>artist, just from hearing one or two songs on a sampler CD? Would it be
>enough to intrigue someone to attend a concert of someone they haven't heard
>of except for the sampler cut?

Well, I heard David Roth's "Rising in Love" on a sampler, purchased the CD
of the same name, and now he'll be in Bridgewater, MA (on a double bill
with Reggie Harris), on May 2, because I heard him on a sampler.

Electric Bonsai/Uncle Bonsai had "Myn and Womyn" on another sampler
(Legacy) which caused me to purchase one of their CDs, John Gorka was on
another one, introducing me to his music, same with David Massingill's
(sp?) with his "My Name Joe".

In a sense, it is the main reason why I am looking forward to the
Performers Showcase at Falcon Ridge more than anything else in that it is a
live equivalent of the sampler CD, useful for future CD purchases, picking
concerts to go to, and booking coffeehouses.

Charlie Seelig
Off the Common Coffeehouse
Bridgewater, MA