Re: Sampler questions

Shirley M. Cottle (cottles@uwwvax.uww.edu)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:14:17 -0400 (EDT)

At 05:30 PM 4/22/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Do many of the people on this list actually go out and buy a CD by a new
>artist, just from hearing one or two songs on a sampler CD? Would it be
>enough to intrigue someone to attend a concert of someone they haven't heard
>of except for the sampler cut?
>I guess the question is, is one or two good songs enough to do that?

I'm fortunate enough to live two miles from a wonderful venue, a
half hour
from another, and within a couple of hours of several more. Samplers have
often determined which shows I decide I can't miss. Recommendations on
this list (and who is making the recommendation) is the other big
determinant for me. Once I see and like a live performance, I buy CDs
directly from the artist. Other determinants are label (e.g., I will buy
anything Red House puts out because I know I'll like it) and producer
(e.g., I bought Peter Keane's CD without hearing a note because Bill
Morrissey produced it) - but those are other threads.
Samplers I love - Legacy I and II; Christine Lavin's two Vineyard
compilations, as well as On A Winter's Night and When October Goes; both
of Red House's; all 6 of Waterbug's; Putumayo's Shelter and Contemporary
S/S; Philo's anniversary; the Newport anniversary (put out by Red House);
and Boston not Austin.
Shirley Cottle (cottles@uwwvax.uww.edu)