Re: Ellis Paul

J. Katherine Rossner (ookpik@mindspring.com)
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 02:57:12 -0400 (EDT)

At 09:24 PM 7/4/98 -0400, rbhoff@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>I can't resist chiming in on David's post here. I just got "Say
>Something" this weekend, and didn't expect to like it as much as
>Ellis Paul's later work. What a great surprise! It is a wonderful
>album, with "Conversation with a Ghost" and "Just the Jester Fool"
>among my favorites on the first listen.

And I'll add: for a long time, SAY SOMETHING was my favorite of Ellis
Paul's albums. (My most recent answer to the question "which?" was
"Whichever I've played most recently"...but lately I'm listening to
CARNIVAL OF VOICES more than the other two.) The songs I love from that
album don't really include the above-mentioned; I'd particularly recommend
"Look at the Wind Blow" and "Blizzard" and "Friday Night"; it's something
of a disappointment that he never seems to play the last two in concert.

But everything Ellis does is wonderful (well, OK--he has maybe one or two
songs I don't like on the three CDs). And I'm eagerly awaiting the next
two discs--one due in September, but it will apparently omit a couple of
recent favorites; the next one, which will include those, whenever it
appears...

Katherine

--
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho