FOLK_MUSIC digest V1 #2440

FOLK_MUSIC digest (owner-folk_music@nysernet.org)
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 06:00:04 -0400 (EDT)

FOLK_MUSIC digest Saturday, July 4 1998 Volume 01 : Number 2440

In this issue:
House Concert Review: Shane Jackman
Bo Ramsey; Lucinda's guitar players
Re: Patti Griffin
great book buy
Re: Lucinda Williams on Letterman
RELEASE: Fairfield Four "Wreckin' the House"
Ellis Paul
Re: Lucinda Williams on Letterman
Re: Martin & Colleen Sexton

Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 14:15:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: bpetersn@burgoyne.com (Boyd Petersen)
Subject: House Concert Review: Shane Jackman

Last week, Shane Jackman encouraged two Utah Valley house concert audiences
to "pull in the sails and drift" while he set them sailing across a sea of
musical tales. Yet the metaphor of drifting in water is soon lost and you
feel a little more like you're sitting around a camp fire after a big red
Western sunset. Shane is a balladeer, his songs weaving stories together
that beautifully capture the American West. His music is certainly
Western, but not at all Country. In fact, the best comparison I can think
of is that Shane does for the West what Ellis Paul does for the big East
coast city. And in a similar way: He captures the essence of the place in
the stories of its people and in music that subtly harkens back to the
rhythms of the landscape. He tells of the crosses that dot the desert
highways and of the people whose losses these signposts memorialize, of the
bandits who once rode the land and of their victims both past and present,
and of the troubled boy who once disappeared in the vast deseret and of his
desire to be "Free in a Free World." And in what will probably be the
song that makes Shane Jackman a household word, he captures the essence of
Wallace Stegner's _The Angle of Repose_ in a song that literally took the
audience's breath away. Seriously.

While most of Shane's songs deal with Western themes, all have universal
appeal. And many are universal in theme. In his witty "Like an Angel"
Shane admits that he's "Sometimes like an angel and sometimes . . . not
that way at all," in "Carolina 49" he writes a sweet love song for his wife
assuring her that he's "comin' home," and in "Ordinary Man" he portrays the
human side of love in a way that shows how that humanity can be absolutely
princely.

Remarkable songs, remarkable music, remarkable musician. And a remarkably
nice guy. That really sums up Shane Jackman.

Boyd Petersen * Adjunct Faculty
515 South 900 East * Depts of English & Humanities
Provo, UT 84606 * Utah Valley State College
(801) 375-4072 * 4petersbo@uvsc.edu
bpetersn@burgoyne.com * Host, Timpanogos Intimate Concert Series