FOLK_MUSIC digest V1 #2433

FOLK_MUSIC digest (owner-folk_music@nysernet.org)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 06:00:04 -0400 (EDT)

FOLK_MUSIC digest Saturday, June 27 1998 Volume 01 : Number 2433

In this issue:
New Stuff from Tom's Catalog
[none]
Billboard 6/27... "Steve Cohen...big part of the future"
Mountville (Va.) Folk Festival
Wanted: Freelance Folk Writers
dig your own cactus
Ron Renninger New CD!

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:07:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: IGUANA1TOM@aol.com
Subject: New Stuff from Tom's Catalog

Hi Everyone!
Here's what's new from Tom's Catalog of Independent Releases, your place
on the web for the best in indie released music and literature:

New Music:

Chris Butler
I Feel A Bit Normal Today
Future Fossil Music/Merovingian Music
New record time!...a little saner than last year's 69-minute "Devil
Glitch"!...let's see...11 normal-length tunes, most of them brand new...some
of them really ancient (i.e. "I Lie The Truth" is a tarted -up 1983
Waitresses' demo)...general concept was to write about dysfunctional
characters that one might encounter on a daily basis,passing for
"normal"...recorded at my rehearsal studio, in my bedroom,
everywhere...production concept was to keep the parts simple, but interlocking
and not layered...has a rough demo quality that is more mid-fi than lo-
fi...brass on "Capitalism" orchestrated by Chris D. Butler (no
relation)...which leads me to my next project - a CD made with people only
named 'Chris Butler'!
CD cat # 046 $10

***
Rob Tobias and Friends
Bagel Roots and Water Dogs
Rob tobias and friends play folk/rock, pop, reggae, swing, and contemporary
Jewish music. Rob is a story telling songwriter, blending these many styles
of music to create an accessible sound that appeals to all ages. whether
performing with the group, solo, or as an arts educator, Rob projects
enthusiasm, energy and spirit. Rob has co-written, directed, and acted in
several musical theater productions.
singer-songwriter
15 songs
CD cat # 185 $15
***
Viggo Mortensen
the other parade
Lightning Creek
An eclectic collection of sounds and ambient music written by Viggo and
performed by him and his band. Viggo Mortensen - motorcycle muffler, drill,
percussion, keyboards, xlophone, vocals; Buckethead - guitar, bass, weeping,
shuffling, drums; D.J. Bonebreak - drums, vocals, vibes, ropes, telephone,
marimba; Exene Cervenkova - guitar, vocals, flags; Sarah P. Smith - trombone,
vocals, plastic flute, muttering; Hank C. Mortensen - piano, drums, thread,
puppy & kitten chorus; Brigit - vocals; Zak Marmalefsky - guitar, puppy &
kitten chorus. Dedicated to Pablo Despeyroux.
ambient/avant garde
9 pieces
CD # 187 $9
***

T-Shirts:

Check out our new T-Shirt page.
featuring:

Duke McVinnie
Hieromania
action box actionware
T-shirt available black on white, sizes: M, L, XL
Cat # M088 $8
***
Duke McVinnie
Bugs
action box actionware
T-shirt available black on white, sizes: M, L, XL
Cat # M089 $8
***
Viggo Mortensen
Don't Tell Me What To Do
action box actionware
T-shirt available black on white, sizes: M, L, XL
Cat # M095 $8
***
Tracy & The Hindenburg Ground Crew
A Man Placing A Vise On Another Man's Head
action box actionware
T-shirt available black on white, sizes: M, L, XL
Cat # M150 $8
***
<A HREF="http://www.wavenet.com/~tomcat/shirts.htm">T-Shirts</A>
posted to the list will also appear on the
<A HREF="http://www.wavenet.com/~tomcat/events.htm">Events</A> page. Here's
your chance to use my mailing list for your own sordid purposes.

to subscribe:

Send an email to:
iguanaland-list-request@eskimo.com
subject: subscribe

if you're getting a lot of email, you can subscribe to the digest version:
iguanaland-digest-request@eskimo.com

Shortly thereafter, you'll get a reply.
Have Fun!
Check out the Searchlight feature on the website. If your browser is Java
enabled it will allow you to search the website for a particular artist or
title without having to scroll through all of the pages, and then direct you
to the page where that artist or title is located.
I'm always looking for new stuff to add to my online catalog. If you have a
self-produced CD, Cassette, Vinyl record, Chapbook, Video, Book, Comic, T-
Shirt or Fanzine, and would like to see it represented in the catalog, send a
sample copy along with your retail price and promo material to the address
below:

Tom's Catalog of Independent Releases
p.o. box 56536
Sherman Oaks, CA
91413-1536
310-228-1119
800-918-8279
<A HREF="http://www.wavenet.com/~tomcat">
http://www.wavenet.com/~tomcat</A>
Your place on the web for the best in Indie
produced music and literature
Support Independent Artists - They're Your Neighbors!