re: folk radio

Katherine Rossner (ookpik@mindspring.com)
Wed, 27 May 1998 11:24:48 -0700

Rachel Bissex wrote:

>Ahhhh my home town of Boston does have great radio... my other two faves
>are WXPN in Philly (more rock-oriented, but a lot of stuff I like!) and
>WMNF in Tampa.

When I lived in Philly (1978-1984), WXPN was not rock-oriented, and it was
very nearly a folk radio station...as I recall, American folk weekday
mornings, a variety of British/Irish/US/Canadian/occasionally other on
Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and Celtic and British folk on Sunday
evenings. I'd grown up with some folk music, but it was WXPN that really
got me into the stuff, and how I miss it!

On a recent visit back to NY, I discovered WFUV. Didn't hear any
traditional folk, but lots and lots of the singer-songwriter stuff...is
this most of what WFUV plays, or did it only seem that way?

Katherine

[ Wing Walker sez: WFUV's content is listed on its website, http://www.wfuv.org
. They are a combination of Americana, folk, blues and world music. During
drive time you will usually hear Americana. Note that they will be off the air
for three hours this Friday (May 29) for electrical work. ]