Re: Folk Samplers?

Jeff Emery (jefmry@cruzio.com)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:13:47 -0400 (EDT)

At 01:25 PM 4/21/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I have found myself attracted to folk music in the last 3 to 4 months and
>am looking for a solid compilation of the newer folk artists. Can anyone
>suggest a good sampler for someone who's just delving into folk as I am?

The already metioned Waterbug samplers are a great way to go, especially if
you want to hear some of the lesser-known but incredibly talented in terms
of songwriting. The best thing about these samplers (there are now at least
4 of them) is that they are VERY inexpensive at only $5 each - that's for
20 to 21 full-length cuts too! You can order them through Waterbug at
awaterbug@aol.com or from the web page at www.waterbug.com

Another of my faves that comes quickly to mind is the "One More Song"
sampler from Rounder Records, showcasing artists that have played at Club
Passim. What I like about this one is that it is one of the very few
samplers to include lyrics, and most of the cuts recorded were not recorded
anywhere else at the time of release.

-- Jeff
.-

Jeff Emery "Backroads" KZSC, 88.1 FM
Folk Music Director Sundays, Noon to 2 p.m. UC Santa Cruz
PO Box 711 Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Felton, CA 95018

Santa Cruz area live folk music calendar: http://www.best.com/~metzger/sbf/